Monday, July 9, 2007

Golden Rod Eggs

This is my ultimate comfort food-and all the pictures are mine! This was a favorite breakfast item from my childhood, that I just figured out how to integrate it into my dinner menu, cause that's how I roll...

First you need to get some eggs boiling. The number depends on how many you are feeding and how big their appetites are. In my family of 4, I cook 4 eggs. Most people know how to hard boil eggs, but for those with questions, I boil for 15 minutes. Works every time.



Next you need to get your biscuits in the oven. The eggs and the biscuits take the longest to cook. I cheat and use the store bought, put in the oven kind...

(Watch out they POP!)



For you over achievers, I'm sure you can make biscuits homemade, you just won't find those instructions here...

Next we'll work on the gravy. I cheat here too. I know that white gravy is simple to make, but I've never mastered gravy at all, so when my sister told me about packets you can buy, I'm thinking why not...




You do have to be sure to stir well, so you don't burn the bottom and I do add salt and pepper to taste. When I was done with it, it tasted just like my dad used to make...



Next after checking that your biscuits aren't burning, your eggs should be done. When they are, after enough time has elapsed, run cold water over them so you can shell them. When you shell them, separate the yolk into a bowl, and the whites get cut up and mixed unto the gravy.



Smash up yolks with a fork and get cheese. As I've admitted a few times I'm a cheater, I buy my cheese already grated, if this isn't the case at your house, then you've got more work to do...






Now comes the best part of all and that's assembly... Take a biscuit, split it in half and set it on your plate. Put some gravy on each side. Put some cheese on that, and sprinkle some egg yolk on that, and you get the finished product...





My husband said this was the happiest I've looked at dinner time in a long time...


10 comments:

Dana Dane said...

Alissa omg i have to try that, my kids read this whole blog with me and they agree!
Tomorrow fosho

Missy A said...

I have never seen anything like that at all, is completely new to me
sounds wonderful and looks nice too I'll have to try it only it will have to be muffins or pikelets as we can't get US style biscuits here

Dana Dane said...

those biscuits suck...they POP! I will have top have my boys open them

Alissa said...

I had to put that warning in there for you Dana... This is so yummy! I can't stress that enough! I'm glad you guys are gonna try it cause it is so good...I seriously ate it with a smile on my face. Johnathan was making fun of me...

Barb said...

Yeah Missy, muffins would work. I have not seen anything like this before either. I can get the biscuits or even make them. The white sauce is a no brainer and the rest looks great. I even see some salsa or a sausage thrown in for extra color and zing.

Anonymous said...

Golden rod eggs are AWESOME!! I like them without toast or muffins... just... in a bowl with lots of pepper. Good viddles!

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say nice site.

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted

Anonymous said...

great post. i will be back to read some more.

Anonymous said...

You do have to be sure to stir well, so you don't burn the bottom and I do add salt and pepper to taste. native wetland plants