Wednesday, June 20, 2007

White Sauce



White sauce was the first thing I ever did in the kitchen, standing on top of the kitchen stool at 5 years old I stood and stirred the sauce on top of the stove
Didn't actually make it myself till much later but the stirring is the important part, you have to stir it constantly or it sticks
White sauce is a basic thing its the things you add that make the different sauces
If you want to make Macaroni Cheese add cheese
Or parsley sauce add parsley
Or go fancy french like here, just add the different things

Basic White Sauce
2 Big spoons of plain flour
1 Big spoon of butter or margarine
1/2 cup of milk (may need a little more than that, it depends on how big your spoon is)

Place margarine and flour in saucepan on low heat, stir till margaine is melted, slowly add milk while stirring constantly keep stirring over low heat till sauce is consistency of condensed milk

Thats it, that is all white sause is the same sauce that you use in a fancy chicken dish or on the macaroni cheese or over the roast dinner
Or like my favorite parsley sauce and sardines on toast

2 comments:

Barb said...

What happens if you add a tsp of vegemite to this sauce?

Missy A said...

it goes brown and tastes like gravy I'm assuming, don't know never tried
You get me started on Vegemite cookin you won't stop me LoL